Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December 2


What do you love to eat? What is your favorite meal or snack or secret purchase on the road?

I love a meal that someone else has made for me.

Carrie and Eliza know how to handle eggs. They each have their own style but a breakfast made for me by one of them always includes fresh eggs from a neighbor's hen house fried in a cast iron skillet. To that pure start, add avocado, grated cheddar cheese and black beans. Then they toast bread or a tortilla, add salt and pepper, and put a dollop of salsa on the side. Have I left out anything? This colorful array is served to me steaming hot as I sip my tea not having lifted a finger. Delish.

How about you?

4 comments:

don said...

The luxury...these are always the best gifts!
I'm imaging the sounds in the kitchen.
And the sun catching the steam rising off theeggs caught by the morning sun.
The best...!

Ruth Lizotte said...

For me, a fresh Aracana hen's pretty blue egg boiled for two minutes and then deftly opened so the top can be scooped out carefully and then the bottom topped with a pat of butter and salt and pepper. Yesterday I asked my students if they had ever had one and only one knew what I was talking about. What I find interesting is that when you have a soft boiled egg in an egg cup, you only have one. I think it's a carry over from WW11 when eggs were hard to get and savored when you had one. If I'm poaching or frying or scrambling, I always figure on two per person. Maybe three for scramboes!

Barbara said...

mom made me one soft boiled egg every morning when i was in high school. As she brought it out in it's china egg cup, she'd say "I think the hen would be pleased that we used her shell to serve in."

Eliza said...

Moe's Broadway Bagels is a breakfast hotspot in Denver. This past Sunday morning, I stood in line at Moe's, surrounded by dozens of hungover college kids (how apt that Moe's bumper sticker catchphrase is "Only the best get baked"..). Breakfast was well worth the wait: a perfectly toasted everything bagel with a freshly scrambled egg patty, a layer of sausage, and melted cheddar oozing out the sides. We took a bag of Moe's bagels to-go, which we've been toasting and enjoying every morning since. A welcome change from the chocolate chip pancakes that the students insist on having 5 mornings a week. Thanks, Moe!