Tuesday, December 7, 2010

against all odds



One of the nice things about the Gale River Trail in the White Mountains of New Hampshire is that it runs along a river for quite a long time. As the trail steepens, the sound of the river flowing past provides great company as my heart starts to pound and I stop more often to catch my breath.

There are also nice places along the river's rocky shore to get off the trail to rest, eat a Snickers bar (yes, my reward for hard work), swig water and take in the surroundings. This is where I found this intrepid little seedling. I thought at the time that this photo might make a nice Christmas card. I offer it here for the seventh day of Advent as a reminder of the lessons we can learn by observing the natural world.

I'll leave it up to you to deduce what they are.
Happy Tuesday!

4 comments:

Eliza said...

Look at that lil' guy! Peeking out like a gopher out of its hole. As you used to say to Carrie and me: "Bright eyes!" How observant of you... if only I hadn't been packing food up or bounding down the trail like any typical hut kid does, I may have noticed it, too. Perhaps in my future hiking career, I should reevaluate the hut croo mantra: "Look good, hike fast, be safe."

Barbara said...

It's all thanks to you that I saw it. Why else would I be hiking the Gale River Trail? I knew you were up there at the top ready to serve a hot delicious dinner!

Irene Weigel said...

intrepid little seedling.

Aren't we all??

Barbara said...

Exactly!