Friday, December 12, 2008

UBUNTU

ok! thought you'd appreciate my most favorite idea and kind of unofficial life philosophy:

"Africans have this thing called UBUNTU. It is about the essence of being human, it is part of the gift that Africa will give the world.
It embraces hospitality, caring about others, being able to go the extra mile for the sake of others. We believe that a person is a person through another person, that my humanity is caught up, bound up, inextricably, with yours.

When I dehumanise you, I inexorably dehumanise myself. The solitary human being is a contradiction in terms and therefore you seek to work for the common good because your humanity comes into its own in belonging". - Desmond Tutu

Thanks to Carrie for sending me the above passage.

Yesterday, I delivered canned goods that had been collected by various groups at my church to the Open Table in Concord. This wonderful organization provides a free dinner to who ever shows up, no questions asked, every Thursday night. They also give each guest a bag of food to take away with them. (I would say take "home" with them but you can't assume anything)

I showed up to make my delivery at the allotted time to a nondescript looking building. I knocked and opened the door. There were floor to ceiling metal shelves filled with food all sorted by category and volunteers of all ages talking and laughing and sorting donations. My bags were whisked away, contents distributed in proper places. They were also filling bags to give away later that day.

Here was a well run organization making a direct difference in the lives of the ever growing population of people in need.
I talked at length with Marilyn, the volunteer coordinator and was amazed at how the whole town appeared to be organized to help. Churches, schools, scout troops, moms, dads, kids all help in ways they can. The high school had a cereal drive, the Garden Club collected cans of vegetables. You get the idea.

A few donations of food from many people each week really make a difference. I told Marilyn I'd be back soon to help and I'd bring my daughters along.

Is there a food pantry in your town?

2 comments:

don said...

Q: Where do the homeless people in Concord come from to get to Concord to the food bank and then where do they go?
We live in a wealthy suburb, I drive past homeless people daily in Denver, cardboard signs, sleeping bags, etc. and then drive home. They can't get to where I am. Maybe I should go to where they are? How does it happen where you are?

Ruth Lizotte said...

I live in a Boulder type place/a Concord type place: Ashland. The homeless are here. They're the hidden underbelly of every community...sadly growing in numbers as I write this.

I dropped food off at our food bank yesterday and picked up a woman who was leaving with a huge, heavy load of food on her back. I drove her home...about 5 miles in the cold sleet to her broken down RV on a rural road on farm land...two kids age 3 and 4, no electric, no toilet?, dogs tied outside barking...a reality smack in the face for me! Here? In AShland! Yup.

Food banks need our help this year more than ever.

Thanks for the reminder, Barb!