Saturday, December 6, 2008

christmas card



One of things I love most about the holiday season is sending and receiving Christmas cards. In past years, our mailbox has been stuffed with catalogs in December. Not this year. In May, I began calling each company as a catalog arrived and asked them to take me off their list. The person on the other end of the line agreed to do this but warned me that I would still receive at least three more since they were already in the pipeline to be sent out. But now, blessedly, we receive almost none. No more paper to haul to the dump for recycling. No more trees wasted at our expense. It is a huge relief. I encourage you all to do this. It takes some time but the rewards are great. Now there is plenty of room in our mailbox for the red, green and yellow envelopes filled with cards and photos!

I have started making our Christmas cards. I'm using high quality cardstock that Carrie brought home from her internship last year. It was stationery that had been printed for a special event that, once over, was going to be thrown away. Carrie knows how I love paper, so she rescued it and brought it home. It is now being made into collaged cards.

My theme is "Peace on Earth...Everywhere" and I am pulling postage stamps from my extensive collection to represent as many countries as I can. Every card is different so I am posting one each day of December on my blog so that each can be viewed by more that just the family that receives it. Like opening a window on an Advent calendar, each day will bring a surprise!

3 comments:

jamclean said...

I have last year's Christmas card proudly displayed on my desk next to the photos of my girls and along a recently received missive from my old friend Chubb Healey from whom I haven't heard since before I went to Vietnam.

Small world!

Best way to keep catalogues out of your mail box is to move all the time, an art which I have mastered.

Ruth Lizotte said...

Oh Boy! I'm sooo looking forward to seeing a card a day! The two I saw this morning are wonderful! I love the colors, the textures, the stamps, and the philosophy behind them! I want to do that too! I can't wait for mine to arrive....for my shelf next to my family photos, next to my card from last year!

don said...

Ummm, good idea.
Ok, Barb. You have again changed the rules! How to keep up? Just when I was getting into the clothesline thing, it became hand painted signs. And now it's collage Christmas cards. Yiikes.
I may have to stop being a follower and come up with an idea of my own. On second thought, lead on Barb.

Not lost of course is the idea of sustainability. Great
stuff.

Will you be branching out and using the ads from companies that "practice" sustainability in your collages? Vestas etc.?