Sunday, November 2, 2008

Vote.


Last Thursday I cast my vote at City Hall in Lewiston, Maine.
Taking ownership in the future of this country was liberating, exciting, nerve-wracking, emotional.  I lined up at the booths, watching students come out with their completed ballots, hugging and high-fiving.  Never have I seen members of my generation come together like this.  The past year has been awe-inspiring, putting to rest any labels of apathy that we as a generation has carried before.  I have seen former cynics invest themselves in the campaign process, hopeful for something better.  This time, they say, will be different.  I myself have knocked on doors and made calls, participating in politics for the first time like so many others.  We are reading, watching, listening.  Organizing ourselves in hopes for a better future.  Finally, we hear things that we like.  Hope over fear.  Unity over division.  One people, one nation.

It is clear to me, even in my college bubble, that this is no ordinary time, no ordinary election.

Let's come together for change this Tuesday and vote.

With hope and love, Eliza

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Take my breath away! It is such a surprise to see that another "Hillbilly" has posted. Thanks for this excellent post, Eliza, you are so lucky to have been able to vote early and in Maine where your vote can really make a difference. I can't wait for Tuesday morning!

By the way, there is a party being held for people who made calls to New Hampshire for the Obama campaign. You and I were invited. Don't you just wish you could attend?

Sylvia Elmer said...

What an inspiring post, Eliza! I'm looking forward to this election more than any I've ever experienced. I agree that this election is different- bigger than any in recent history. This election will make history in more ways than skin color and gender. It will make history and change it. I can't wait!

don said...

Eliza,
This is great! Your excitement is great. Having hope is great. Having lived under martial law and a military dictatorship for a few years w/ press censorship and other forms of "freedom management", I know we are fortunate first hand. Vote and be excited at the opportunity to do so freely.