Saturday, October 5, 2013

corn on the cob



A recent visit with my cousin Tom revealed some family photographs that I have never seen. He has generously sent the ones I requested.

I am joining my brother Don in becoming the family archivist. I realize that although my siblings smile knowingly when they see a photo like this, our kids may not know who this is or where they are!

So here is my grandmother, Ruth Lamb Dobson, with her second husband Perry Dobson. Years after my grandfather, Henry Lamb, died of kidney disease and her five children were grown up, Granny married Perry.

This photo was taken at Lake Memphremagog, perhaps on the Pines beach. I recognize my sister Ruth but do not know who the boys are. As is true of so many of the iconic events that took place in our family, I was not born yet.

Corn on the cob, anyone?

5 comments:

SAM said...

Never knew she remarried! Of course Dobson is familiar but I don't think I've ever heard about Perry.

Ruth Lizotte said...

I probably knew Perry best because he tutored me daily the summer of 1961. I'd take the old rowboat with about a 2 horse motor on it over to "The Cabin", Granny and Perry's house, and he'd work with me on reading, writing, and vocabulary.I have him to thank for my ever going to college. He was the head of school for a girls' private school in London, Ontario and a warm, caring soul! Granny would join us for tea and cookies about halfway through the session.I memorized "apathy" to "zenith" on the SAT vocab list that summer. He was way ahead of his time in teaching writing as a process!

Barbara said...

What a lovely memory, Rue.
I remember what a kind, warm person he was. He always had thick round mints for me as a treat.
He and Granny traveled in Mexico together every winter.

Barbara said...

What a lovely memory, Rue.
I remember what a kind, warm person he was. He always had thick round mints for me as a treat.
He and Granny traveled in Mexico together every winter.

Eliza said...

Perry looks nice! And Ruthie, cute as ever!