Monday, September 20, 2010

writing

Writing is like breathing.

I believe that.
I believe we all come into life as writers.
We are born with a gift for language
and it comes to us within months as we begin to name the world.
We all have a sense of ownership, a sense of satisfaction
as we name objects that we find.

Words give us power.

~ Julia Cameron

My fall writing classes start today. I will read this quote.
I will bring a vase of zinnias for the table and ideas on writing and
we will write in ten minute increments.

I have the great pleasure, honor really, of hearing reflections
and stories
from my students who have all lived full lives
and are willing to take the
plunge and write about them.
Joys, sorrows, disappointments, humor
they are all there
on the page.

2 comments:

don said...

Go, Barb!
Passion is always the best thing to lead with.
Of course, Mimosa's work too!
As you noted in the picture...
Ooopps...is that Orange Juice?
Coffee...? There goes that inspiration.
Congratulations! and
Good luck with next steps.
It will be a great Fall.

whatinspires said...

love this, thinking of all of you this am. i will write by the sea