Thursday, September 23, 2010

Full Moon


In Mexico, people say there’s a rabbit in the full moon, curled in a half circle. I try to see it as the full moon rises over the pine trees. Here in New England we look for the face of a man in the moon. I like the idea of a rabbit and so I squint to see it there.


Most of all I love moon shadows. The yard is lit up as if it were the middle of the day. There is an eery yellow cast over everything. I don’t need a flashlight when I take Calley for her evening walk.


I wonder what wild animals do on a full moon night, woken from their sleep by the light of the great white orb. I imagine a party in a clearing. Rabbits dancing, porcupines watching, racoons at the refreshment table eating with their dainty paws. Mice hide in the shadows, never trusting. Deer watch ready to flip their white tails and bound away. The owl oversees it all. No wonder the mice are nervous.


Full moon night. There’s magic in the shadows. A world I will never see.

3 comments:

John said...

Chinese people also say that there is a hare in the moon and the day to watch for him was this past Wednesday's full moon which was the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival.

S/He must really be there!

Barbara said...

Thanks for weighing in John, I hoped you would. Did you see the hare? The moon was illuminated here last night in a clear black sky. beautiful.

don said...

The ancients thought the shadows were oceans....thus the names of the moon locations..."sea of...etc"
Also...back to poetry...listen to:
Moon Shadows, by Cat Stevens.
(PS. I can't believe I beat JAM to this...probably because I'm in Bar Harbor, ME...ahead of him by a bit I guess).