Thursday, September 2, 2010

Old Speck







I can't speak of the third highest mountain in Maine with much affection. Sure the view was amazing at the top. From the fire tower there was a 360 degree view that made me feel like I was on top of the world. But it was a hard climb. A giant's staircase of huge boulders with a 2,685' elevation rise.

Problem is, we are used to climbing mountains to find an AMC hut at the top where we are fed and entertained and refreshed for the hike down the next day or even better, for a ridge walk to another point of interest with no loss of elevation. But to summit a peak and head back down, now that is tiring.

Even Calley was tired and that is saying something when that hound dog starts to flag. She even got to rest while we climbed the fire tower.

Facts. Old Speck elevation: 4185 feet. Elevation gain: 2685 feet (that's what we did). Hours we hiked: 7 and a quarter. Miles covered: 8 or 9.

I must say, it was a perfect day weather-wise. It was sunny and cool with a slight breeze. Not like today with 98 degree temperatures and a hurricane on the way. Old Speck might seem like nothing compared to what Old Earl can dish up! I am never one to underestimate the power of mother nature!


2 comments:

don said...

What a view is right! Thank you for that last look at summer from the far reaches of NE.
Now for the visit of the Duke!
The Duke of Earl that is! Good luck...how do you say in 'yer language??
Batten down the hatches...!

don said...

Re-reading, I must say I love the phrase...
"I must say..."
It's so, well, familiar.