Monday, September 27, 2010

A house I have known


The house at 14 Allerton Street was on the edge of Pill Hill in Brookline. It was called Pill Hill because so many doctors lived in the neighborhood. No wonder. The Deaconess, Baptist, Children’s, Beth Israel, Brigham and Women’s hospitals and The Lahey Clinic were all a few miles away.

I didn’t like it there at first. As far as I was concerned, we had moved to the city. Fire engines from the station at the bottom of the hill roared up High Street with sirens blaring. Police cars sped by on their way to Jamaica Pond. It was noisy. We moved there when I was twelve after all my siblings had grown up and left home. We moved for my father’s work, a job he couldn’t pass up.


I missed the open spaces of Summit, New Jersey. The reservation behind our house stretched back for miles. Even the name, reservation, made me think of the Watchung Indians that once inhabited the area. Were there still a few left camping out by Surprise Lake? Despite the neat suburban street out front, it felt wild and mysterious beyond the outer stone wall behind our house. We lived next to an area called Elephant’s Grave. One morning, my mother announced that there was a bear in the back yard. I ran to the window to see it. No such luck, it was April Fool’s Day and she had gotten me again. But it seemed likely considering the wild world back there.


In Summit I walked to school with friends. From Oak Ridge, we’d walk down Magnolia, across Mountain, down Laurel along Memorial Field. After crossing a brook we’d cut through a hole in the fence and enter the playground of the Brayton School. In Brookline, I took the MBTA to school. One stop from Brookline Village to Longwood. We had to walk the long way to school. We weren’t allowed to cut through the Fenway, too dangerous.

At the end of the day I’d stagger up steep High Street to our house on Pill Hill. Eventually I met a friend to walk home with. The walk seemed less arduous, the sirens not so loud. Boys and latin vocabulary dominated our conversations.


It wasn’t the house’s fault that I didn’t like living there at first. It just didn’t have any history. It felt strange to inhabit a place that hadn’t known me my whole life.

6 comments:

Eliza said...

Look at that palatial estate!! I don't think you've ever taken me there, despite how close by it is. Then again, your stories live on Oak Ridge Ave... Granny's amazing garden with the huge shell, walking along the stone wall, biking with Gay Parker, playing with Mitzy. I don't think I've heard many from Pill Hill, except maybe your angsty teen stories of quitting piano and being ostracized for liking the Beatles instead of the Beach Boys. Still, it'd be fun to visit!

Linda said...

I remember the house and a great plaid rug in the library. Your very kind parents let me live with them until I found an apartment in Boston. John had just started at Harvard. I remember him knocking off the NYT double acrostic in about ten minutes. Very impressive.

Barbara said...

Hi Linda! When I got my first teaching job, I lived with YOUR parents until I got my own apartment.
As for John's puzzle skill....still off the charts!

jamclean said...

Although I was a Beach Boys fan, I'm certain that Barb and I shared an equal immediate love for the Beatles. Now James Taylor?! That was another matter. Barb was first to introduce me to him - I really dragged my heals and was a late adopter.
Double-crostics, Linda?! For that I thank Mom. They came to her once a month in the Atlantic. Over time she taught me how do do them and then, as I got better, she NEVER protested when I'd come home on vacation and grab a fresh one off the coffee table. I do them to this day, every two weeks below the puzzle in the Sunday New York Times.

don said...

Setting: MBTA B'line Village.
Players: MLM and "neighbor"
Context: MLM not sure of stop for Allerton. Asked a likely blue hair. Directions given. She gets off.
Phone rings at home: Hello Mrs. McLean?
Ans: Yes..?
Talker: I'm Mrs. Peabodyphillipscaboto'reilly. I talked to you on the T and gave you wrong directions. I'm very sorry. I hope you got home all right?
Ans: Yes, I did. How did you...etc...
Talker: Oh, that was easy. I asked my friend on Pill Hill who had just moved there. Got your name and number etc. I'm so sorry...tea sometime?
And so life in the New House began to adapt to the changing circumstances.
Next: The car crash! (limo that is....)

Barbara said...

never heard that one!