Wednesday, February 24, 2010

writing



I will be giving a talk today to eleven people about writing practice.
(See p. 11 in Writing Down the Bones.)
Natalie once wrote that the way to keep writing is to teach it.
I lead three writing groups each week and do I ever do a lot
of writing. I scribble along in my notebook alongside my students.
I have a whole new understanding of what Natalie faces and I
channel her method constantly.
People love it but then come the questions...
"where is this going?"
"when will I write my memoir?"
"I can't get the detail."
ETCETERA
So I patiently answer and reread Nat's books and
tap into my five times in Taos, watching and listening
to a great teacher.
I have tricked myself into writing.
I drag myself into class full of self doubt and
leave flying high.
Today's prompts?
*the present moment
*saying good bye
*my name
Ten minutes: Go.

5 comments:

don said...

"Where is it going? When can I write my memoir?"
I remember N's comment when asked this at a book signing. She answered...
"First you fill up Missouri, then dig a ditch. It turns into a river". That's where it is going.

Barbara said...

Only Natalie can get away with that imagery! Huh? Fill up MIssouri? Oh! I get it, keep writing and it will lead you where you need to go!
Thanks for your insightful comments, Donald. I really appreciate them!

Eliza said...

Well said, Ma. People relish these classes! Don't forget that when your nerves run high going into them! What a gift you're giving them.

Ruth Lizotte said...

Thanks for the reminders that we must practice first. Dig the ditch next and then perhaps the water will flow into something akin to "Loon, A Marine Story". I keep forgetting about Missouri. Thanks, Donald and Nat. Thanks Barb for sharing.

Yesterday my students made a five minute list of "places darkness hangs out" and then put a verb with each noun ie nightmares terrify, holes consume, dusk creeps. And they went from there. Fun!

whatinspires said...

i found that list of prompts and maybe there's something there worth using. love both these entries. i'm jealous of all your followers ( kidding, well yeah i really am..) cyberspace is such a wierd place and i'm so not used to it. getting there but still a long way to go. love the " places darkness hang out " almost makes me want to teach again...... robin