Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Car



My first car was a Plymouth Valiant sedan; eggshell blue. It belonged to my sister- in-law, Rozie. She and my brother had moved to Brooklyn Heights and no longer needed two cars. I was the lucky recipient of this handed down vehicle. At the time, I was a college senior majoring in elementary education. I used public transportation or rode my bicycle across the BU bridge to get from my apartment on Marie Street in Cambridge to attend college on the Riverway. During my final semester, I had a student teaching job four days a week at the Runkle School in Brookline. I needed a car to transport bags of student notebooks and supplies for art projects to and from school. This car came into my life at the perfect time.

My second car was a grey Volvo sedan with red seats. My mother and I found it at a used car lot in Newport, Vermont near where my parents spent the summer. I had approached them again with my need for a car. This time I was starting my first teaching job at Milton Academy. I needed a way to get from my apartment on Magazine Street in Cambridge, a half an hour south to Milton. I fell in love with this snazzy vehicle. I didn’t even care to know the details of its past. Had it been in an accident? (probably, I later realized as it shimmied at high speeds.) Did it burn oil? (yes, I later found out as I pulled over to the side of the Southeast Expressway more than once, as smoke poured out from under the hood.)

I wanted it. My mother shrugged her shoulders, knowing it was my decision and seeing I was hooked. I drove it for many years, filling two tanks everytime I went to the gas station. One full of gas, one full of oil. It was worth it. Sometimes you have to go the extra mile for something you love.

post script. When I was married, I sold it for almost nothing to the son of a neighbor. As he drove it to college out the Mass Pike, my beloved car let out a final sigh and died. That's loyalty for you.

4 comments:

jamclean said...

Polly Plump Lump! had a storied career prior to Roz (and by marriage my) adoption of this Valiant. Certainly she will share below before long!!

Ruth Lizotte said...

"That's loyalty for ya." I'd have called it bad luck for the poor kid!
Great way to end the story.

M/R said...

Oh, Polly... What a truly "valiant" little car. Indeed she had a history. She was a hand-me-down from my aunt, who was used by our friend Jim when he returned from Viet Nam to Chelsea Naval Hospital and needed wheels. He used it to come to Wheaton to visit (I liked to think to see me, but actually it was my roommate... it took them to Salisbury Beach or Newburyport to see the sunrise... or something). Then it was my college graduation present so I could drive from Allston to Brookline to teach, (she was named by a boyfriend at the time) and later from Brookline to Somerville to see John. When we went to NY, we didn't have, need or want a car at all till the Mets job. Isn't it great that she went on to be a companion to Barb? Polly must have had quite a lot of stories to tell in the car graveyard!

Thanks for the memories, Barb!

John said...

I loved this! It makes me think of all the stories that our possessions could tell if they could talk.

It make me also think of how things passed from one person to the next is almost a kind of love.

To pass on a well-loved object in good condition to another who can use it is like giving hope that the object would bring as much joy to the receiver as it gave to the giver.