Saturday, February 13, 2010

February 14



I really have no interest in long stemmed roses. I eat chocolate year round so this day is no different than any other day. I am always looking for a reason to haul out the art supplies and lure my family into participating with me. Valentine's Day is great for that.

One year when my daughters were young our valentines were covered with red and pink glitter. A shower of glimmering color wanted or unwanted poured out of each recipient's envelope. My kitchen floor was covered too. I was sweeping up glitter well into April. Just as I still find pine needles in the living room even though the Christmas tree has been gone for a month. These are ways we mark time. Dye stained finger tips mean Easter is on it's way and a few pumpkins seeds in the bottom of the oven are left from the roasting done last October after the Halloween pumpkin was carved.

Any of these holidays can be tossed off as having become too commercial or artificial but they are what you make of them. Valentine's Day provides us an excuse to stop the routine, make, buy or email a card and send warm wishes. Give a hug to someone or something you love; your dog, friend, sister, cat, sweetheart, child. I wish I could run my finger along the back of the bright red cardinal sitting in the crabapple tree outside my window. He looks like a valentine.

Love to all on this cold February Day!


4 comments:

don said...

What will the mailbox yield? Only time will tell.
Oh, U kid! B my Valentine! or..., always au courant, Tweets 2 U.

Ruth Lizotte said...

Sweet cards! Wonderful sentiments about Valentines and...........I wish I too could run my finger across a cardinal's wing...or at least see one perched near the swelling buds of the dogwood. But alas, we don't have cardinals in Oregon.

Carrie said...

I loved my valentine! thanks mama! love, c

whatinspires said...

thanks for my valentine, i'm saving the stamp for a future collage. i totally agree w/ your line " they are what you make them " your so cool and i'm so grateful to joellen for bringing us together! robin