Sunday, September 28, 2008

unexpected





Ten miles from our house, heading west out Rt. 117 , across the Lee Bridge and right onto Sudbury Road is Verrill Farm. Along the edge of the fields where vegetables and flowers grow, there is a small building where produce and baked goods are sold. Out back is the bakery and kitchen. It is one of my favorite destinations. As I select carrots, peppers and spinach, I look out to the fields where they were grown. I "buy local." It is nice to know that the food we eat for dinner was not trucked across the country or flown in from Mexico, but grown by friends down the road.

I have been especially aware of the importance of "buying local" since reading Michael Pollan's books The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food. And since I read everything written by Barbara Kingsolver, I enjoyed her most recent book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle which is about how she and her family only ate food that was in season for one year. Harder than it sounds but a great read and something to aspire to!

Back to the farm. Verrill sells the best scones in the entire world. On my way home from yoga class on Saturday mornings when I am feeling virtuous for having exercised so bright and early, I sometimes pull into the farm parking lot to buy corn and tomatoes and yes, a freshly baked cranberry orange scone. I did so last weekend.
On that sunny Saturday I walked out with coffee and scone after conversing with the person at the cash register and running into a few friends. What a community resource, I thought.

Later that day, I got the news that there was a fire at Verrill Farm. As neighbors, customers and staff watched from across the road, an electrical fire burned out of control leaving a blackened crumbled shell of a building. I felt so sad for the Verrill family and for all of us who converge on the farm for food and community.

I have since heard of the outpouring of support the family has gotten since the fire. I was in another farm stand this afternoon and there was a jar with a sign on it asking for donations for the rebuilding of Verrill Farm. Steve Verrill, now in his 70's had a huge smile on his face when we stopped by later. As bulldozers pulled down the building, he told us of the outpouring of support he has gotten from friends, customers and the entire community.

This is how it works! We all rush in to help when there is a problem. We tell the Verrills how much we love their farm. How we depend on it and feel so lucky to have it close by. This is true at all levels. New York City after 9/11 became a friendlier place. After Katrina volunteers flocked to the Gulf Coast. When my brother was sick I got calls from my nieces who I love dearly and never talk to. I sat with him in the hospital. The question is how do we keep in touch during our everyday lives? How do we create community without adversity as a catalyst?

It is something to just notice and be aware of. I ran into an old friend at Scimone Farm Stand today and was ready to rush off after a quick "hi" when he told me he and his wife are separated. His smile was a brave one. This was not his plan.
So I stopped and listened and made a mental note to somehow be in touch with him and his wife soon. I hope I remember to do that. We all crave connection. The ad exec had it right when she/he came up with that catchy line: "reach out and touch someone."

5 comments:

Eliza said...

Really dynamite entry, Mom. I was crushed to hear about Verrill. It's such a wonderful vibrant place, as shown by your great pictures of the colorful array of local organic produce, and it's so important to be buying local these days. Isn't it so true that when you go through a rough time is when you realize who the important people in your life are. Sounds like Verrill is getting the support they deserve. I read that they now have a small temporary farmstand - you should go! I'm sure you will. Small, family-run organizations that promote local buying and create community bonds are just what we need.

Sometimes I worry that the widespread use of the internet as primary means of communication is pulling us all apart, creating walls between real social interaction, screens between the human touch. Even in college, I find I'm more likely to get an e-mail than a knock on the door.

You never know what's really going on in someone's life. You've given us such an important reminder to reach out. We are all the same!

Thanks, Mom.

John said...

The bit about keeping in touch was interesting to me. I feel that in many ways, the Internet and modern telecommunications have brought us closer together than we could possibly have been before.

Yes, modern media often keeps us inside our homes and rooms, now, siloed, where we used to go out and socialize. But at the same time, emails, blogs, instant messages and video conferencing allow us in Hong Kong to keep in touch with pretty much everyone in the family.

It is to keep in touch that I write our blog and read the family blogs so religiously. We pay for international calling plans so that we are always reachable and can reach others. Sunday mornings, there's often a schedule to follow so we can get our video conferences in with family.

My father, who grew up in the 20s and 30s never understood why we kids had to communicate so much and said so whenever he had to pay the phone bill.

To me, technology represents a tremendous opportunity to bring us together with the interaction it offers and allows us all to share and learn together.

Just my take.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Brad Elmer said...

Calley is so cute. So cute it's ridiculous!

just had to throw that in...

don said...

Love your pics, Barb. It reminds my of Mrs. Prince's in Summit. Should you not remember, there was a great fresh produce stand out by Rt. 22 as I recall where we used to go before King's Market came to Summit (during the time dinosaurs roamed the earth). Sorry about the fire. I can imagine David proposing the new solar powered house for the future on the site! Yes.
L, Donny

jamclean said...

As you story unfolded, Barb, I recalled that place out on Route 2 where I bought apple pies this time of year when coming to visit. It is not only important to reach out, but also to be there when others reach out - not always easy the way we were brought up.

The outpouring from so many fronts when I was sick was extraordinary to me. It was hard for me to accept it and give thanks rather than be embarrassed about all of the needless attention.

P.S. Pls send down a few of those Cortlands! Your pix are fabulous!!!! and..., I echo Brad :)