Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fall in Maine





Only a couple of weeks into my final year in college, and I'm craving that refreshing altitude I'd grown so accustomed to all summer. Campus life is lively and full. Bates students tend to be endlessly enthusiastic this time of year, and their thirst for adventures in the outdoors has undoubtedly rubbed off on me... after all, fall in Maine is nothing to miss. Clambakes, camping trips, surfing and climbing trips, and beautiful hikes throughout Maine and New Hampshire have already been frequent, and I've been sure to take advantage of them all.

This weekend was what we proudly call the "Annual Bates Outing Club Katahdin Summit Assault" (clearly not to be taken lightly), and I set off leading 40 other Bates students up the tallest mountain in Maine. Weather was good to us and we were lucky enough to catch a crystal clear view of the sweeping foliage of the valley, reluctantly making its way from greens and blues to fiery oranges and reds.

The already cool air hints at a bitter cold winter in store for Maine, during which I'll be hunkered down in the library (might as well be a bearskin rug), in front of my computer (close enough to a fireplace, right?), writing my senior thesis. That in mind, I'm getting outside this fall!

I'm thinking about everyone in their respective locations, and hope you're all enjoying your falls as well.

Love, Eliza

6 comments:

Barbara said...

What a surprise! Our blog is certainly one of contrasts!
What a day to be on Katahdin. Thanks for posting, Eliza. Love, Mom

don said...

Thank you, Eliza. That was fun.
Wow, a big senior with all the expectation the future brings. Good luck and best wishes for a wonderful year. Love, Unc Don

jamclean said...

Great post, Eli

I'm back for fall in New England for the first time in 23 years, enjoying daily morning walks through rural Connecticut. Glorious. But an outing on Khatadin is the very definition of the changing seasons. Your pix fill my lungs with fresh air!!

M/R said...

Oh what a lovely sight that view from Katahdin is. And what a day that was! Thanks, Eliza! Have a great fall! Let me know when you need a break, or a quiet place to write, and home-cooked food (or at least food cooked by someone else)! XXOO Roz

Ruth Lizotte said...

Eliza, thanks for sharing!..."fall in Maine is nothing to miss!"
"...surfing...!?!" burrrrrrrrr! You Mainers are hearty folks!
"..foliage reluctantly making its way..." Yes, these are the bittersweet days!
"...might as well be a bearskin rug..."
Love your Word Choice! Love your Voice! I'm right there with you...or was a couple of weeks ago. elevation 7,000 ft. in Stanley, Idaho.
Thanks for sharing your life with us...it's the next best thing to being you (and I often wish I were you, lately!)

Sylvia Elmer said...

SENIOR THESIS??? Already?? Wow. It makes sense when I do the math, but I feel like you just got to Bates, all the same. I can't believe you're in your senior year. Wow. Wow. Love the blog update! I've always wanted to climb Katahdin. Maybe next summer?