Friday, September 12, 2008

here comes trouble


The honeymoon is over.
The puppy who was so glad to have moved to Massachusetts from the heat of Tennessee, who came
running every time we called her and sat obediently for a treat....is now an adolescent.
Rebel. Just when I thought I could trust her, I put the rugs back so we didn't feel we were living
in a dog pen. Now I find a corner chewed. Just when I thought I could leave shoes in the hall,
I put on my sneakers and find no lace to tie.

The Amenian cobbler in West Concord is becoming my pal. I walk in the door clutching a
leather leash that has been chewed in half.
Quietly chewed as I stood talking to someone on the sidewalk while Calley, model dog, lay beside me, waiting patiently.
As I walked away however, I found the dog and leash were no longer attached. There she sat with a three inch piece of leather hanging from her collar wondering why I looked alarmed. The leash I held securely in my grip was attached to...nothing.

"That will be seven dollars," says the cobbler sadly shaking his head, sorry for the expense.
I peel off the ones. Better than buying a new leash.

Yet there is something comical about this brown dog that has entered our lives.
This long brown dog that squeals with joy when we get home.
That jumps up and prompts us to use the words we learned in class.
"OFF!" we say emphatically.
Followed by "good dog!" when we sense she has obeyed us, just a little, for a minute anyway.
The dog that licks my foot right now as I write.
She is worth the seven dollars.
We can all use a little levity in our lives!

3 comments:

Sylvia Elmer said...

That's hysterical! What a comedian, she is. We got Stanley when he was around Calley's age. Those eight months from when we got him to when he had finally settled in and stopped chewing things were a laughably pricey adventure. This is why we love our dogs!

don said...

Languorously lounging while spreading levity lavishly among the lively living Lincolnites!

Would you say that sums it up?

M/R said...

Ha Ha, Don!! Love the levity from you both. Hits just the right tone. Thank you, guys! Even after 14 years, there is evidence for perpetuity of a developmental stage gone by, in the chewed foot of a rocking chair. But green apple spray on a leash? Probably not...