Friday, September 19, 2008

new york!








I had a great trip to New York/New Jersey.
I saw John for a few days and was glad to see him on the mend before I left.
After two comfortable nights at the Tsien's apartment in Fort Lee,
I headed to Manhattan where I met Carrie at Columbia University.
Between classes, we grabbed a cab and went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
We checked in with a few old favorites; Matisse collages are a thrill in real life!
Then up to the rooftop garden for a splendid view of Central Park and beyond.
The art installation was by sculptor Jeff Koons. Great reflections.






Driving in Brooklyn was a first for me. Miracle to find a parking place right in front of Carrie's apartment on Flatbush Avenue. We unloaded her bureau and duffles and celebrated our cleverness over dinner at Franny's; a great restaurant next door.
Then to bed.
In the morning, bright and early and ready for our coffee and bagel, we walked out to find not a parked car in sight.
Yes, my car had been towed 15 short minutes before we got there.
We figured out the system and with some fancy internet and cell phone work, we got all the info we
needed to track it down. If it hadn't happened, we never would have seen the Brooklyn Navy Yard!
Best of all...we took the Brooklyn Bridge back to Columbia where I dropped her off and headed home.
What a thrill.
But, next time I go, I think I'll take the train.


3 comments:

don said...

Wow, Barb. Reflections. Oh, I get it. Tanker truck? But would Matisse? And the Bridge shots. Yes!!
I remember snapping pics of the GW Bridge w/ my little Pentax thru the windshield driving down the ?? and all who saw it saying, "Donny, while you were driving! Don't EVER do that..." Of course there's more.
But I love the truck shots. Smell of deisel, grinding of gears and air brakes. Sun reflecting off chrome, drivers looking down on all they survey. Love the shots. Glad it was you.
Someday, I'll take you to the Rez for some sights and sounds. Like the drum ceremony. Whoa! Followed by hot dogs and 'burgers. W/ extra Velveta cheese, like a few slices at least. It took me away...thank you.

M/R said...

Oh, there are always adventures in The City. You seem to have handled the unexpected twist of a missing car with amazing grace. Thanks for the impressions of what you saw!

What a hike for Carrie every day to go from Flatbush Ave to Columbia! Can't wait to hear more about all of you! XXOO Roz

Ruth Lizotte said...

Hey, Sis, you get around! No flies...or mosquitos...on you! Maine one week, NYC the next! Love the pictures! But not sure I like the idea of you driving and shooting! Be careful! And don't call me anymore on your cell phone when you're in the likes of this! Yikes!

Thanks for writing! I must go get my license # right now and put it in my wallet!

Want to meet me at the rez for burgers and Velveta cheese?