Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Reflections on the Blog

I started this web log a year and a half ago with the intention of publishing some of the writing I was doing with family and friends. I got so excited about the possibilities of the blog that it became the place I could publish whatever was on my mind on any given day.

Environmental issues became a focus and will continue to be. I can sense my readers have become more vigilant about taking their own bags to the store rather than using paper or plastic bags for the short trip home and then throwing them away.

I sense some of you think twice before reaching for a plastic bottle of water to quench thirst when a glass and faucet are near by.



This weekend, the New York Times did a feature article on the national debate about clotheslines. Many of you forwarded that article to me since I have been highlighting the beauty and energy efficiency of clotheslines for some time now. My mailbox filled up with forwards of the NYT article! That must mean I have an audience!!! Can I consider myself a published writer?

As the leaves fall from the trees and Eliza reports below freezing temperatures and snow in the White Mountains, I am back at my desk. I am also teaching three writing classes. I presently have thirty four students spread over three weekday mornings. At night I reread Natalie Goldberg's books, along with Julia Cameron and Anne Lamott. In the early hours of the morning, I write the agenda for each class including assignments and inspirational quotes. Some of you have asked me to forward on some of the things I cover in class. This blog may be a good place to do that. I also write a lot now that I am teaching. I write along with my students. I may publish some of those little pieces as well.

Many blogs have a specific theme. You never know what you will find at www.calleymouse.blogspot.com!! I wander here and there, knowing that my audience will travel along with me. Happily, even I am surprised by my blog when I log in and see that Carrie or Eliza has posted something. Thanks to everyone out there; our loyal followers.

5 comments:

Sylvia Elmer said...

I love your themed blog entries! They give me a good perspective on the world and current events. Yesterday, I was walking into Target to buy something or another and I stopped, realizing that I could just as easily take a cloth bag into a big box store as I could a grocery store (we often take them shopping at the mall and grocery, but this was a first for a big box). I walked back to my car and grabbed one of my trusty bags from my bag of bags in the back seat.

As for water bottles, my hair dresser was telling me about a commercial on TV with a woman running on a treadmill and drinking a bottled water. Apparently, the message was something to the extent of "30 minutes on the treadmill, a lifetime in the landfill."

You're voicing big issues in areas we all need reminders. Since moving to our new house, we hang all our clothes on the clothesline outside (and we're currently researching cloth diapers!). I feel very in tune with and moved by your blog. :-) Thank you!

jamclean said...

Your blog has been a wonder of writing and useful information for us all.

I mean, who knew that Sylvia had a hairdresser??!!

Sylvia's comments provide a real world application to your efforts. Like her, we all now think twice about plastic bottles, bags, and clothes drying (taking a cue from Sarah and John, I now dry most of my laundry inside 5B (not too hard being a live-alone guy). You don't need a clothesline to have a clothesline, if you know what I mean.

I rarely used to take such suggestions well.

One Christmas years ago, Ruthie gave me a shaving brush and a tube of shave cream. It was at the beginning of our awareness about floral carbons and the ozone layer (back then shaving cream, deodorant, and a zillion other household products were sprayed from a can). It was Ruthie's way of telling me to get with the program.

Fat chance.

Several years later, I came upon the gifts in the dark recesses of the bathroom and gave them a try. Turned out I was not only saving the environment, but getting a closer shave as well.

I have never looked back!

Long May You Run!

don said...

Memo to John:
Sylvia has not changed.
But, now she lives in California!

Ruth Lizotte said...

I'm glad you didn't mention the brush, John. They will be the next target on this blog, I'm sure. Badger hair! Yikes! What was I thinking!

I always give Curity cloth diapers at baby showers and I know they are laughed at and used for dust rags. It would be Sylvia who could turn this around! I bet she'll get her hair dresser using them too!

don said...

Barb,
I love the picture at the bottom. I keep opening the blog to look at it.