Sunday, October 25, 2009

rally





As I upload my photographs from yesterday's climate change rally in Concord, Massachusetts, I really have to laugh. We New Englanders know how to have fun. Let's invite a Minuteman with drum because we know it all started here, then stand in the rain and listen to organizers and a politician from Taunton talk about climate change. At least the person with the compact florescent head gear had a sense of humor! We stood in front of the Minuteman statue at the Old North Bridge for a photo. I didn't see the New York Times pick that one up.

Look at the photos of gatherings around the world! new york times

There is so much joy, creativity and yes, urgency inherent in the rallies. I do think other countries are feeling the pressure more directly than we are.

I don't want to get into the politics of it all and I was disappointed that the New York Times gave this world wide movement such a luke warm review. The science can be argued, the methods challenged, even the number 350 debated but it is good to see people waking up to the need to do something. People are sending a message to world leaders who will be meeting in Copenhagen in December that this is an issue they care deeply about. How thrilling to see a global rally over an issue that affects us all.

1 comment:

don said...

Ah, yes. Party time in Concord. Where was Rep. Markey? I fiiist sawr him at a rally in Cwoncowd yeaahs ago.
But, yes, what a good focus.
I looked and looked through the millions of pics last night. Very heartening...young people. I love movements ..... esp if action goals are identified w/ assigned tasks, time lines. Otherwise, it's sort of like what Barney Frank said about the recent gay rights rally in DC....a stupid waste of time!
Thank you for all the heart....and the fun or getting energy out there.