Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What's New in the Lew

As I walked into breakfast this morning, the cover of the Lewiston Sun Journal caught my eye.
A golden retriever named Ginger had wandered away from its home yesterday and fallen into a hole in the ice of Lewiston's Androscoggin River.  Onlookers quickly called the fire department, who arrived on the scene and pulled the dog out.



This story made me smile not just because of the dog's uncannily Niki-like forlorn brown eyes, but also because of a distinctly similar Niki memory it brought to mind.  Niki's first summer in Isle au Haut was one filled with newfound freedom and discovery.  She'd gallop around the island's open fields and busy forests, sniffing and digging frantically.  We'd never seen her so happy.  One morning, she ran down the gang-plank onto our little dock, and propelled herself straight into the water, thinking the placid surface was land.  It was painfully cute to see her shocked and embarrassed expression as my dad hoisted her pathetic little body out of the water.  These pictures took me straight back to that magical place, the beautiful summer day, my wonderful little dog.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Thanks for posting Eliza! I was getting so tired of that sap bucket I could scream!
What a great story. I want more news stories like that one to balance off all the bad news we hear.
I love the face on that dog and the faces of the human rescuers.
Animals Make Us Human by Temple Grandin is the book I am listening to on CD right now.
The title is enough to give you the idea.
I remember Niki's plunge into the Maine waters. Wet Rat may have been what we called her when we pulled her out shivering, hair slicked down. One or two good shakes and she was rarin' to go. We can all learn a lesson from her. Explore, Shake off the
mistakes and keep going.

Sylvia Elmer said...

What a great story. Niki was one of those dogs who touched everyone, not just her owners. I still miss her and get a little pang in my stomach when I see the new occupant in Niki's corner by the door- but Callie has proved herself worthy.

Barbara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara said...

Sorry about removing my comment, there were just too many typos having whipped it off early in the am.
WHat I meant to say was that I am so happy that you have fond memories of Niki, Sylvia. She was indeed special. So tuned in. Remember how she howled when Eliza played the piano? What was up with that? I always imagined it touched some primal nerve, a message from far away, as if she was trying to communicate something.
When Eliza first played after Calley arrived, we all turned and looked at her. Not a glimmer. Didn't bother her a bit. She is not on that cosmic wave length. We know Niki would be pleased we have her tho. "Don't worry, she'll mature with time" she might say.