Monday, January 5, 2009

More on Lincoln Center (MA)

In response to my last post, I got a request for more information. Since I introduced the visuals, I decided to add a short explanation of the project as it is presented on the website of O'Neil Pennoyer Architects.



Lincoln Post Office and Cafe, Lincoln, MA
This Office was retained to design a new post office for Lincoln's small commercial area that would meet the goals voiced in a town-wide planning effort for a small pedestrian-based village center. To reflect the high value and intentionally limited-growth potential of the land, the plan incorporates some second floor office space and a cafe, to shape a small green facing south across Lincoln Road. A one story open arcade brings life to the edge of the green, and makes a connection to the parking lot hidden behind the building. A loading dock and service area for mail trucks is located between the post office and the railroad tracks.


The project has also included a renovation and expansion of the grocery store, gallery and other commercial spaces which are housed in an existing building on the right in the above photo. Many people have generously commented on how the town center is transformed by this project.

On one of the first days that the new building was open, I went to the post office. It was a great feeling to enter the space, move along the walkway and casually pull open the door (a real door; not a drawing of a door!) to go in. It was like being one of those tiny figures that are placed on architectural models to indicate scale. I have been following the evolution of this project for years! As I stood in line, I listened to the glowing comments of the people around me (no one knew of my connection, I learned long ago that most people do not notice who the architect is).
As I bought my stamps, I casually asked the person behind the counter, "how is this space working out for you?" The response was positive to say the least. A happy postal worker? Now that's success.

2 comments:

jamclean said...

Great job David and well thought out and presented, Barb. A Post Office with copper gutters??!!...whoa!!

don said...

How's it working out? Really good? Y'mean, dis is 'da new "goin' postal".....But wait....there's more.

'dis ain't New Joisey fa schua. But can it be a subboib nea Boston?

More to come.

Oh, my gawd.