Friday, January 9, 2009

Intuition



Since intuition operates lower down than the frontal lobe, it is not easy to talk about how it works. In general, I tend not to pay much attention to it until I have completed all of my research, compiled my lists of pros and cons, and made a rational decision based on facts. Then, when I cannot sleep because the rational decision seems all wrong to me, I start paying attention to the gyroscope of my intuition, which operates below the radar of my reason. I pay attention to recurring dreams and interesting coincidences. I let my feelings off the leash and follow them around. When something moves in my peripheral vision, I leave the path to investigate, since it would be a shame to walk right by a burning bush. At this point, reason is all but useless to me. All that remains is trust. Will I trust my intuition or won’t I? The more I do, the more intuitive I become.

from Leaving Church
Barbara Brown Taylor

2 comments:

jamclean said...

And, thereby, the older I get the more intuitive I become?

There have been so many times in my life that I misplaced my trust and hence misguided my intuition. There have been many times when people have misplaced their trust and misguided their intuition in me as well.

As I age, the trust that I hold for individuals and institutions is powerful, but limited. I don't just give it away anymore. I also have great respect for those who place their trust in me as well.

There aren't many of you out there, which is ok. I don't require a whole lot.

don said...

Your piece on intuition is great, Barb. Intuition is deep and taught without being learned. It is absorbed early unknowingly.
Pity those w/out the conflict between intuition and logic. The three o'clock AM moments staring at the ceiling!
We've all had to face that "rock". I esp like the picture. Oh, to ever be across the marsh before having to deal with the alternative. I spent three days this week struggling with the subject.