Saturday, October 25, 2008

home grown







I'm a sucker for a hand painted sign. I was tempted to stop and get my car washed by a bunch of high schoolers this morning because I loved their sign and their smiling faces. I often stop at lemonade stands, just to support those young entrepeneurs and because I know the care that goes into setting up your first business.

Calley had surgery yesterday. I picked her up today. Some vets spay "rescue dogs" for a reduced rate (Carrie says they do it for free in Biloxi, MS). I found such a place an hour west of here where things are less expensive in general. The drive was beautiful. Lots of trees still have red, orange and yellow leaves, pumpkins dot the fields and apples are for sale every few miles. On the way out I admired the signs. On the way back (with Calley still slightly sedated in the back seat) I stopped and photographed some of them. Traveling east, as soon as I got inside Rt. 495, the signs changed to corporate logos; Dunkin Donuts, Mobile, Shaw's supermarkets.

So here is my tribute to those intrepid farm stand operators who take brush in hand and create what is becoming a lost art. They may not think of themselves as artists but, you be the judge.

4 comments:

don said...

Uh, oh. Looks like a new lead from Barb. Send out the Mongol hoards to search for handmade signs. Check tomorrow...And old ones from ghost towns. My faves.

Barbara said...

you got it.
clothes lines are history and it's getting too cold anyway.

Eliza said...

wow, i love these! especially the pig.
...can i do this for a living? :)

M/R said...

What a spot of local color! There's way more personality in signs down there than around here...or haven't I looked lately? Thanks for the tour!!