Friday, April 5, 2013

Crossing the Hudson River...on foot.






It was windy.  As we walked, my brother the historian told me tales of George Washington crossing this very river.  The American Revolution unfolding up and down the east coast.  And to think I thought it all happened in Morristown, New Jersey and Concord, Massachusetts.

As a kid traveling with my family across this bridge in the family car, I remember craning my neck to see The Little Red Light House at the base of the George Washington Bridge. I got a good glimpse this time, trying not to let the wind whip  my iphone out of my hands as I leaned over the railing to get a photo.

The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge was a children's book I knew as a kid. Many others knew it too, so when it's usefulness as a lighthouse on the Hudson was over, it was slated to be demolished but the many readers who knew of this story fought back and saved this now historic lighthouse.   Amazing to learn that it once provided much needed light to steer boats away from a piece of land that jutted out from the shore.  Read the book by Hildegarde Swift for more info.

Thanks for the great visit, John!

3 comments:

don said...

Great perspective, Barb. Esp gazing from the middle of the country lodged at 5,280' above sea level.
I always see the LRL on John's blog...and now in living color.
Remember when Dad was fighting "the Marriotts" when they wanted to build a hotel on the palisades over- looking the Hudson?
Fun to visit with you.

Barbara said...

Wow, what wasn't Dad involved in??

don said...

Ah, the Great One...may he RIP.
(as, I'm sure Mom would have said..)