Friday, November 9, 2012

Afternoon Light in Leadville


This afternoon, the pleading eyes of a charming chocolate lab whom I’m dog-sitting this weekend brought me on a walk down County Road 5A.  About ten minutes into my absent-minded stroll, I realized that the afternoon light was particularly nice.  A storm is forecasted to roll into Leadville tonight, bringing up to two feet of new snow.  But this afternoon, there was a calm silence in the air, and the sky was a perfect blue.  I soaked in the moment, knowing it was finite.




Now four months into my new life in Colorado, I am still dazzled by the quality of the light out here.  No matter what the temperature outside, the sun beats down, warm, soft, and golden yellow.  It does wonders for your mood.  And tonight, without this sweet pup’s encouragement, I would’ve never left the confines of my apartment.  I’m grateful today for dogs’ potential – even when on loan – to enrich our lives.




4 comments:

don said...

The blue of the sky at this altitude is striking!
Even looking at pictures the next day on my computer...I wonder...is that the way it was? Which, of course, it is!
Glad you're having fun in the Centennial State!

Barbara said...

Yes, we have our dogs to thank for getting us outside and walking. On the way home I find my mind is calm, all kinds of ideas have appeared and I feel happy to have had some quiet time in the company of a dog.
Dogs are good for people! I love the long shadows!

Anonymous said...

Lovely moment! XXOO!

Ruth Lizotte said...

"...I soaked in the moment, knowing it was finite."
Well said, Eliza! May you look at all moments that way!
Carpe Diem!
Thanks for a peek from the peaks!