Sunday, November 8, 2009

write





Why I Write

I write to make peace with the things I cannot control. I write to create fabric in a world that often appears black and white. I write to discover. I write to uncover. I write to meet my ghosts. I write to begin a dialogue.

I write to imagine things differently and in imagining things differently perhaps the world will change. I write to honor beauty. I write to correspond with my friends. I write as a daily act of improvisation. I write because it creates my composure. I write myself out of my nightmares and into my dreams. I write to the questions that shatter my sleep.

I write to remember. I write to forget. I write as an act of faith. I write as an act of slowness. I write to record what I love in the face of loss.
I write as a bow to wilderness.

I write because I believe I can create a path in the darkness. I write as a witness to what I have seen. I write for the love of ideas. I write knowing words always fall short. I write as though I am whispering into the ear of someone I love.


-Terry Tempest Williams

2 comments:

don said...

Write for life
Right?

Ruth Lizotte said...

There I am!...in spirit, for sure! But I'm not there. I'm prepping for my workshop at the National Writing Project's annual conference in Philli next week! "Why Teachers Need to Watch Teachers Teach" is my topic...and there you are, watching the pro: Natalie Goldberg. Write on and pass it along!