Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fame

I am ten years old. My brother is in boarding school in Massachusetts so I can enter his room whenever I want to and go through his stuff. The top drawer of his desk smells of lead pencils, erasers and ink stained wood. A protractor, a jack knife, and a couple of marbles rattle as I push the drawer shut. Nothing interesting there. A wooden box with a hinged top holds his record player. I lift the lid, turn it on and place one of his precious 45’s on the turntable. I lower the needle and hear scratchy rock and roll. This isn’t fun when he isn’t around to tell me not to touch his records. I turn the dial to OFF and close the lid.

Finally I end up where I always do in John’s room; sitting in the brown velvet worry chair in the corner next to the bookshelf. Behind me are windows looking out to the garden below. I don’t know why it is called the worry chair. Little sisters don’t listen to the details of stories that parents tell at cocktail parties. From my spot in the chair, I reach over and run my finger along the row of matching book spines. Which volume will it be today? I stop at the last one; XYZ all in one book. I lean over to grab the last volume of the World Book Encyclopedia and pull it into my lap. “What if I read every blue and red volume? Would I know everything?”, I wondered. I open randomly. Eli Whitney invented something called the cotton gin. Black and white photographs accompany the article. One shows black men with bags over their shoulders picking cotton. Another shows a machine with gears.

I keep flipping. George Washington. I learned about him in school. Our first president. He couldn’t tell a lie. He admitted to chopping down a cherry tree. What's so bad about chopping down a tree, I wondered. That’s nothing compared to the time Gay Parker and I stole clip-on flower earrings from the 5 and 10 cent store on Springfield Avenue to use as barrettes for our dolls. Will I never be president because I lied to my mother when she found the garish accessories and asked me about them? I said they belonged to Mrs Parker, who was a Quaker. She must have known.

What does it take to be in the World Book Encyclopedia? I wondered if I would ever do something impressive enough. I read about women but they were mostly nurses, like Clara Barton and Florence Nightingale. Eleanor Roosevelt was in there, but she was married to a president. I didn’t expect to be married to a president and anyway, I wanted to be famous in my own right.

Maybe we all wonder how we will be remembered and even if we will be remembered after we are gone. Being in print is not the only way. Encyclopedias are gathering dust on shelves or have hit the land fills long ago. We are all famous to the people that matter. To the people we know. It is like making peace, it happens so often we can’t even keep track. It’s all a matter of showing up.

12 comments:

jamclean said...

It was a late fall/early winter, so it got dark early. I came home from school to an empty house.

Dad was away, you and Mom were perhaps out food shopping. I don't recall Ruthie's whereabouts.

As evening settled, I became anxious. I left my upstairs room and went to the living room, to the window to the right of the fireplace that was the closest to the driveway - the first place I would see incoming car lights.

I turned on a light in the corner and settled into the velvet chair - big, soft, comfortable, safe - and waited and, increasingly, worried.

I imagined the terrible things that might have happened to you. I felt sure that there was someone evil lurking in the house. My mind spun as a curled tighter in the chair.

After another hour or so, I heard the sound of gravel under tires as the headlights flashed into the room.

You and Mom were happy, cheerful, having shared some sort of adventure. I was at first relieved then angry that you were so late and had left me alone after dark.

From that moment, Mom dubbed it John's Worry Chair. Some time later when it was to be replaced, I had it moved to my room so it would be ever nearby.

Ruth Lizotte said...

It was winter, 1960. Dark. Dad sat in the brown velvet chair. Behind him black leaded windows reflected me, standing in front of him in my button down white oxford cloth shirt and navy blue Jumper. My tight leather loafers squeezed my feet wide feet, but I was not allowed to walk shoeless in the house. Nor was I allowed to wear pj’s or anything that might resemble them, before bedtime.
“Again, Ruthie,” he commanded, pipe cradled in his right hand as his dirty fingertip packed down the tobacco.
“Amo, amas, amant, amamos, amantas, amant,” I repeated.
“Again. And stand up straight,” his hooded eyes scared me. The windows behind him were cold; Donny and John were away at boarding school and Mom was upstairs with Barby. And so our nightly ritual of French and Latin conjugations recitation followed by spelling word practice and multiplication facts drill continued.
But that January, I was on the Kent Place honor roll and Dad brought me a bouquet of yellow mums that he had picked up at the Lackawanna train station. Mom must have called him. Flowers! From Dad! Wow, was I ever proud of myself! Love is shown in so many different ways…sometimes it’s almost taken for hate. One must look carefully to understand another’s actions.

don said...

My prize for 8x8=64; 7x7=49 ....
a waffle iron! I was speechless. I had won. It had been my goal.

jamclean said...

...and, Donny, speaking of material incentives (I recall receiving none...) who can forget the angel food cake that you scored from Miss Bender for some extraordinary feat (the sword dance??!!) at music school.

Barbara said...

Love is shown in so many different ways…sometimes it’s almost taken for hate.

don said...

Yes, I was perfect!
At least in the eyes of those that succeeded me!
Angel Food cake...I had forgotten that one.
What I do remember about music school (Mrs. Bender is on the Gallery) is squirting John T. Conner under the table w/ my squirt gun so that when he stood up, his khakis looked like he had peed in his pants (JTC was Mom's favorite which made it extra special!).

jamclean said...

...and you wonder why we thought you were perfect. That's a riot.
Certainly Mom loved him, he was Eddie Haskal (without the crazy side).

Barbara said...

Look at the power of the written word!
My childhood reflection elicits true confessions from Donny. And we thought Ruthie was the wild one!

don said...

Yes, I was the ninja warrior,
Who can forget the Money and Banking book?
Carved out pages. The space just big enough for two water pistols, side by side, lime green and rasberry red. Eighth grade.
Mental image: A forerunner to Paladin. Music in the background and all.
So, Donny, how does the Schwinn bike fit into all this?
Ah, the sequel.

jamclean said...

...and, in the spirit of the Thanksgiving season, the inflatable bladder under Grandma's plate...

don said...

Thanksgiving...?
Yes, John...
I can still recall the TERROR in Mom's eyes as she noticed the action at the place next to her. And tried to get a grip on what was happening before G'ma focused on the grandchild "hijinks" (great word!)
And the apparent cluelessness of the rest of the table (except for certain of the grandchildren of course!)

Ruth Lizotte said...

Roy's hobby shop had all the necessary hijinks for the formal table setting...suction cups that made cups stick to saucers, "fart" pillows, little blow up balloons attached to a tiny hand pump that could be slipped under the tablecloth and of course squirt guns of red and green. I loved that store and found a similar one in San Francisco last Christmas. I loaded up on stuff for the grandkids, but I need to buy a tablecloth for their table. We're only at the disappearing penny stage, but there will be more!