Monday, June 22, 2009

thwarted



Back before the rainy season took hold, a few weeks ago, David and I decided to go canoeing on the Concord River.
He went to get the canoe that hangs upside down in the barn and came back shaking his head.
There would be no paddling that day. Our canoe had become a rookery. In fact someone was about to take her first flight!
She stared at us as her parents flew frantically back and forth above us. We left them in peace. When we returned the next day, the babies were gone.

3 comments:

jamclean said...

Thwarted, indeed.

I once had a dove that made her nest on a tiny ledge outside of my 5th floor bedroom window on 38th Street in DC. The day they were ready to fly, a predator bird swooped down and grabbed each chick to the hysterical protests of the mother (and father - doves share the nesting chores).
I saw it all happen as I came in from work one night. It was an awful time of my life and a horrific event. Life goes on - except for those times when nature intercedes.

Barbara said...

Funny you should mention that. Calley killed a baby woodchuck the other day. in cold blood. The scream was unnerving. This furry companion that licks my toes and looks so benign, is part of a larger order of things.

don said...

Susie and I have a fly fishing guide that likes his job because he sees the pecking order every day. What eats what, when and how. Thus the challenge of what to use that day and time to catch the fish.