Monday, May 18, 2009

May 19th at last!


Where were you when you first saw Loon in public? We will all have a story to tell.

I was walking down Main Street in Concord, Massachusetts today thinking about the post office, the bank, and putting money in the parking meter. As I walked past the large window of The Concord Bookshop, I looked in and saw seven copies of Loon on display, with the sepia photograph of my brother on the cover. He is holding a rifle.

A day early! The official release date is tomorrow! I was not expecting it. The store owner said he would soon have a photograph of the author and the date of the book signing (June 14) as part of the window display, he just hadn't gotten to it yet.

LOON, a Marine Story written by my brother, Jack McLean.

Buy it and read it. You will not be able to put it down until you have turned the last page.

Thanks for telling us the story, John,
and congratulations on a job well done.
We all share in the excitement of this moment.

4 comments:

don said...

I got an email from a neighbor that he had received notice from Amazon that his copy of Loon had shipped. What an exciting event to be part of. Congratulations John. And thank you from all.

Ruth Lizotte said...

I just happened to be passing by Barnes and Noble, so I stopped in.
"I was wondering about a book that is due out tomorrow....Loon, a Marine Story by Jack McLean..." She checks the computer. "yes" she says, walks over to the book shelf and pulls it off! Loon! My brother's story! My brother's book! Tears of awe oozed from my eyes as I sat down reverently (hardly being able to contain myslef) and read.... I will always remember when John came home to Travis AirForce Base. I will always remember sitting in that chair reading his book. Congratulations, John! What a fine piece of writing....I will pour over every word.

Sylvia Elmer said...

I drove into Sacramento this morning to assess the local Barnes and Noble and see for myself if this could really be true. There on the shelf (and soon on the new releases table) were three copies of Loon. I just wanted to stare at them. "Can I take a picture of it?" I asked the sale representative (she already knew the author was my dad). She informed me that photographs were not allowed in the store, but if I kept my camera low and made sure no one was looking, I could take it. We're all feeling the energy today!

don said...

So I walk in. Barnes & Noble Boulder. Look around. Oh, the New Release Table. Must be here. Up one side, down the other. Nothing. Ok...so, this May 19 thing is, "around May 19"....I get it.
One more look.
Whoa, here it is....stacked up on the top row, standing up straight at chest level, not laid out flat. I take two, buy them. The lady asks, "do you want a gift exchange card in case the gift recipient wants to bring it back?"
I say, "the author's my brother...if anyone that I give this to wants to bring it back...I want their name. I'll go and shoot them!"
"Oh, good...so that's a no on the gift exchange card then?"
"Yes! And you can meet him on June 20. Right over there!"
What a feeling.
Bingo, bango.