Thursday, September 26, 2013

the lake










In August, Ruthie and I did the cousin tour. We saw Martha Gordon in Barton, Vermont, Brenda Lamb Makarov and family in Derby, Vermont and Ann and Tom Montgomery in Ogden, Quebec. Yes, the Hemlocks and Winter Palace are in Ogden, Quebec. 

I have always liked seeing my cousins and feel a deep connection because of the time we spent together as kids at "The Hemlocks"- a shared summer place in Canada.  But lately I value them as holders of my own family history.  I search their faces to find traces of their younger selves and features that are shared across generations. I spent the first ten summers of my life with Tom, Ann and Martha who were six, eight and ten when I arrived on the scene. Tom was close friends with my bother John and they were just a blur -always on the run and up to something. Ann rocked me in the hammock and "payed attention" I was told by my mother. 

Ten summers, two families joined by the link of mothers who were sisters. This summer we sat on the veranda of the lake house that we once shared and talked about "the ancestors." Tom and Ann know a lot about our shared great grandparents (Hattie and Gardner Stevens), our grandmother (Ruth Stevens Lamb Dobson) and even about my parents who were like parents to them when we all shared the house. My people are their people in a way I had not appreciated as fully as I do now.  

"When did our mothers buy this place?" I wondered. Being the youngest, I always assumed that everything happened before I was born. 
"Their first summer here was 1953," answered Tom after doing some mental calculations. 
The year I was born. 
My first summer was everyone's first summer at this sacred family place. 
"See, Barb, you didn't miss a thing." said Tom.
In fact, maybe I was the inspiration for the whole thing. With the growing families, they needed a place of their own.
(Our house in Summit, New Jersey-160 Oak Ridge Avenue bought the same year.)

On our last night there, Ruthie and I were alone in the cottage. There was a powerful thunder and lightning storm that at first was lovely to watch over the lake but then came to us. Wind slammed the doors and rain blew in from all directions. In the morning we discovered that a few major trees had blown down across the path. 
"The ancestors visited us last night!" said Ruth.
We definitely stirred things up.

4 comments:

Ruth Lizotte said...

It's true, the ancestors definitely did visit us and they are indeed a powerful lot! ...even now, all these years later!

don said...

What a scene, indeed! Smiling gene pool on the veranda. I'm reliving, Noily Pratt martinis on the porch and flicking of non filter cigarettes off onto the hemlock needled ground in front. Ruston & Sid strolling down the path....need I go on. Wonderful spot...credit to all Montys for keeping and protecting the "flame"...or should I say...preserving the "upper towel rack".

Barbara said...

what was the upper towel rack anyway?
off limits to kids?

don said...

Upper Towel Rack:
1. On the back of the barrier of the alcove around the toilet off the kitchen, were the sinks on one side, a wall/barrier on the other side w/ two levels of towel racks.
2. Top: Authority/Ruling class/Parents....OFF LIMITS TO CHiLDREN. Always neat and organized
3. Lower: Children only. Always a mess of dirty & wet towels.
Upper towel rack preserved as the realm of parents/ruling class...."dancing every night". If violated...touched by children. "thunder & lightning".
So, upper towel rack in this reference...Montys' have preserved the authority over the Hemlocks including order and culture, for all to enjoy! Thank you, Ann, Tom and Martha.
Note: For any style drift in my description above, I have no pride of authorship...only seniority. Please clarify and correct freely.