Sunday, January 20, 2013

portland sampler

Why I travel to Portland as often as I can.


The grandkids. My great nephews, Jude and Auggie. Need I say more?

This photo was taken by Ruth's neighbor, Cathy. We were about to set off on a treasure hunt around the neighborhood.  Ruth had written rhyming clues and hidden then around town. We walked (ran, climbed, explored, picked up sticks, horse chestnuts, and other treasures...) to each clue.

 One clue was in Ruth's community garden plot where parsley and kale are still growing, the next in a hedge, the next at the public Library tucked inside a book by Patricia Polacco (can you find the P section?)  the next clue took us to Whole Foods for a hot chocolate and in the end we were back at her apartment where a box was hidden surrounded by tiny lights under a lush hedge. Auggie found it. Inside was a tiny hand made ceramic basket for fairy treasures.  As he opened the box his brown eyes grew wider and wider.
 "The fairies are going to love this!" he said.  


ART. 
We each made a book last year and they are now filled with our writing and glued in things. So we had to make books again this year. We made paste paper for the covers.  Then we assembled the books by sewing signatures together, attaching to covers and more. This is a long process, took us all week, so I won't try to explain it all here.  We both have hand made books to write in for the coming year.



Most of all, I come to Portland to see my sister.

3 comments:

Ruth Lizotte said...

I'm sure glad you do! Auggie and Jude are glad too!
Thanks for the lovely reflection on our week. I miss you soooo much! 'til next time.....Put a bird on it!

jamclean said...

How did I ever get so lucky!!!

don said...

Is this fun, or what?