Tuesday, January 8, 2013

january


Last fall my dog Calley took to early morning barking.  I have a habit of rising early, before the sun is up.  At this early hour, Calley greets me.  I usually open the front door to let her out and then head to the kitchen to make my tea. I look forward to quiet time for reflection, reading, writing, checking email.  I settle in and take my first sip of delicious tea and then I hear it. The shattering sound of my brown dog barking at the perimeters of our property. I can imagine she hears deer rising from their hidden sleeping places and the raccoon who has wandered over to check out our compost pile and the owl who is hooting in the pine tree at this hour.  There is also the early morning jogger who expects to silently pass through these streets before the day has begun.

I don't want any of this disturbed so I call her and she usually comes. But this fall I decided to go out with her. To take a walk and let her run with abandon rather than let out her considerable energy by barking. So I chose a loop that takes me straight from our house to Valley Pond, up and over Moccasin Hill.  Calley and I set off each morning in the soft light. And then I saw what I had been missing.  We got to see the moon set and the sun rise, we saw shadows and reflections on the pond, I heard the ethereal sound of an owl.  I loved watching Calley explore and race through the woods sniffing and exploring.  And I had the pleasure of a walk at the beginning of the day, my favorite time.  This photo captures the feeling of that solitude and quiet.


5 comments:

jamclean said...

Burrrr!!

John said...

Shouldn't that water be frozen?

don said...

All now calm...new year freshly minted.

Ruth Lizotte said...

Please tell the story of the photograph. It is, I realize, as story of its own, and just the sight of it makes me feel the renewal building and preparing for new beginnings.....but where are you?

Barbara said...

Thanks for your responses! Even though I titled it January, I did take this photo in the fall. It has the quiet feeling of a new year.

So Ruth, here is the back story to this photo.

And yes, John, this water would usually be frozen in January! My readers are observant!