Saturday, May 28, 2011

Madelyn Phillips O'Neil 1912-2011



Dear Family and Friends.

I want you all to know that my dear friend and mother-in-law, Madelyn, died peacefully on Thursday evening, May 26, 2011. She was 98 years old. She hadn't been feeling well for a few weeks, but rallied for every visit from family and friends. In a phone conversation with David on the day she died, she asked with interest about all of us, wanting to hear about Carrie's graduation from Harvard that day, and relieved to learn that Eliza had returned safely from the cold, snowy backcountry of Wyoming where she was part of a very challenging leadership program. She wanted to know how Katie's search for a house mate was going and she was glad to know that I was safely back from Oregon. David is in the process of leaving his architectural firm. She was interested in the details of that move and very happy for him.

It was so like Madelyn to want to hear the details of our lives up to the last hours of her life. Often when I would arrive for a visit she would say, "Tell me everything and start at the beginning." I am sure over the next few weeks, we will collectively tell the stories of Madelyn's life, starting at the beginning, grateful for her long life and its dignified, graceful ending.


2 comments:

SAM said...

What a role model to all of us, even those who barely knew her! Sending all the O'Neils extra love during this time.

Robin said...

let me also send my love and thoughts - how blessed to have a mother, mother-in-law and grandmother of such beauty and character. I look forward to hearing more about her. xo's