Tuesday, June 22, 2010

robin's garden









These pictures are for Robin, who is in England taking care of her step mother. At home in her garden, things are thriving! I picked peas so the plants will continue to produce and snapped off a few leaves of spinach, parsley and rhubarb for my dinner tonight.

Best of all I wandered through the lovely outdoor spaces that she has created finding surprises at every turn. Varieties of flowers I don't know the names of, blueberry bushes laden with berries soon to be ripe, the smell of thyme bursts forth as I walk on it up the stone steps. Birds dart back and forth. I was sure the small blue bird I saw on the railing was an ornament, until it flew away! I encountered a rabbit who was enjoying having full access. He froze when he saw me; ears back, heart beating. He reminded me of Peter in Mr. MacGregor's garden.

Before leaving, I refreshed the water in the chicken coop, said hello to the ladies and gathered a few brown and pale green eggs.

It's a sanctuary missing its creator.
Come home soon, Robin!




6 comments:

whatinspires said...

beautiful photos and i can just imagine you amidst the chickens and the peas feasting your eyes on the bounty. i'm sure your other robin friend appreciated reading this and seeing your awesome photographs. miss you. looks like maine was glorious, love the view through the trees, so maine!

Robin said...

your 'other Robin friend' is most touched by having her garden visited by her thoughtful and creative friend Barbara. bless you. my stepmother also most appreciative.

Carrie said...

I love this time of year. it makes me so happy. Robin your garden is marvelous. hello from seeds of peace. where all produce is canned or from another country. love, c

don said...

Ah, the basket reemerges....

Barbara said...

You ARE a keep observer! yes, that is the basket I used to keep tools in. Now for harvesting!

John said...

Those are some seriously amazing photos, Barb. I loved this post. You brought Robin's garden so close I could hear and smell it in my mind's eye.