Friday, June 25, 2010

Lindentree farm CSA

A map of the fields indicate where to pick today.

A list of what's available inside, already picked for us. We have a small share, so we chose amounts from the right side of the list.




Cabbage. Still have the one I got last week. Cole slaw?

Everyone picks strawberries!

These are more delicious than I could ever have imagined.

Thursday is the day we pick up vegetables at the CSA over on Old Concord Road. In a CSA (community supported agriculture), the members share the successes and losses along with the farmer. We pay a fee at the beginning of the season for a weekly share of produce. Members put in four hours of work once during the summer. Some veggies and flowers and fruits are picked by the member (this week I gathered shell peas, strawberries and flowers) and the rest are arranged in baskets in the barn.

This farm is a well oiled machine. Going to a CSA is a social event. There are a lot of children, either playing on the rope swing, kicking balls or dutifully helping their parents pick ("don't eat all the strawberries, some have to go in the basket!") I love seeing people of all ages out there in the fields. Although this farm is in Lincoln, the only people I knew were the farmers. People come from far and wide for the chance to pick fresh produce and to teach their children that food doesn't grow in cellophane packages.

It was hot and muggy. Weather forecasters threatened severe thunderstorms later in the day. The wind began to stir as I left. There was something exhilarating about picking side by side with others, chatting, wondering about how many flowers we were allowed to pick, and bending low to pull leaves aside to find ripe strawberries.

Inside the barn we had casual conversations about what to do with these exotic vegetables. Out of habit, I would surely pass them by in the grocery store. "You can eat them raw or stir fry with garlic and onions...." seemed to be the answer to most questions. I really like figuring out what to do with kale, dakon, garlic scapes and fresh oregano. It's very relaxing to have someone else decide what we will have for dinner tonight.

When I do go to the grocery store for juice, laundry soap and yogurt, I smugly walk by the displays of lettuce, spinach, parsley and basil. "I pick mine fresh from the garden" I say under my breath.

As I head toward the dairy case, I glance back at the well lighted greens.
I'll be back after the first frost.







6 comments:

Sylvia Elmer said...

How utterly delicious sounding! I've always wanted to join a CSA. Maybe next year when we will have someone to help share the produce. This winter would be a good time, with sweet potatoes and lettuce. I bet Alden will like sweet potatoes.

In Vermont, we lived right around the corner from a small CSA. I loved the idea of walking through the garden and picking your share of what was ripe. Yet still, we didn't join. Around here, despite the perfect growing season, all the CSAs are up in the hills, a good 30-45 minutes away from here. The veggies are delivered by truck to a central pick-up location in town. Having them delivered in a box almost feels like it defeats part of the purpose of the CSA to begin with. I love the sound of yours!

Carrie said...

These pictures are so amazing. you should give them to Lindentree for their promotional stuff if they have a website, which they should. how wonderful. I look forward to the day that I live in a place long enough to partake in a CSA. For right now i have some more traveling and adventuring to do, but this is certainly something to look forward to!
love to everyone, c

don said...

Might it now be time to start a yogurt making project..?

And by the way...it's widely known that strawberries don't grow in plastic containers!! They are grown in Costco storerooms and then put in plastic containers. Or, maybe that's the mushrooms. Can never keep those straight.

How about a story about the two heads of lettuce...one from the CSA (happy music) and one from Calif that has been locked up in a truck for six days....? (Betoven's ...sp?.. Fifth in the background).

John said...

Daikon? Exotic? For me, daikon, or "Chinese Radish" was as common as a carrot or a potato when I was growing up. I know what it goes in! :)

It's delicious boiled with pork bones for broth, or julienned, made into patties and fried like hashbrowns (with a soy and sesame oil dipping sauce). It's the main ingredient in the dim sum delicacy, "turnip cake" and is delicious when pickled in salt. When simmered or boiled in a soup, it softens up and has a wonderful, tender texture that all but melts in your mouth. In fact, it can be simmered with some pork, stock, soy sauce, sugar and a couple slices of ginger for a simple meat dish. Daikon in all its forms is one of my favorites!

Interestingly, despite your friends' recommendations, in Chinese culture it is least commonly eaten sliced and raw due to its being a little bit spicy on the tongue which makes it feel like it does when you eat pineapple.

Ruth Lizotte said...

I love this blog! I love the people who read it and make comments too! Sylvia has the enthusiasm gene going...must be a teacher! Donny always makes me laugh; he's so stupid! Or is it me? Luckily my farming background lets me know the truth about strawberries. Carrie always has a better idea...I'm sure she scored over the top on "extending understanding" on state tests, and John..... Well, I have to tell you I was thinking John was my brother for a moment, and I was SO impressed that he knew SO much about cooking! Can you imagine John McLean talking about cooking the way John did here! Funny and fun to think about.

I'm glad you're supporting the CSA, Barb. I actually have three gardens this year: Willow Wind, my small one here, and 3 beds at the absentee neighbor's yard. I better go get weeding!

Barbara said...

John, thanks for your insights on daikon. I put it in soup today with small turnips, onion and garlic, carrots, etc. Delicious. I want to taste in all the ways you cited! Turnip cake. I want that!!