Monday, May 31, 2010

dig


The fence is the final major project on this garden.
Note five inch trench.
No critter would dare go under.
Especially when they could go over.
At least it keeps Calley and her playmates out.
And the wild turkey family which has taken to cutting across our front
lawn on their stately way to somewhere else.

Tools.
A gardener's best friend.
Looking closely one can see my mother's favorite scratcher with
the red handle.
A closer look will reveal the shears with rubber on the handles once used
by my dad to clip the hedge.
I swore I'd never have a garden after the years of weeding I did in theirs.
Yesterday I weeded the rhododendron and vinca like a mad woman.
And stood back to admire the results.
"what do you think, mom? look better?"
Old habits die hard.

We had parsley, basil and chives in potato salad yesterday.
Picked from the garden.
This project might be worth it after all.



3 comments:

whatinspires said...

man you guys are just stormin on this garden, now i really am jealous of you having such a handy hubby. just got back from pete's graduation, what an amazing experience, can't waitt to see you and tell all!

Ruth Lizotte said...

Congratulations on a beautiful garden! My little red handled scratcher broke years ago. I love tools with family wabi!I think you'll love having the garden.

don said...

Yes, I dig!
Impressive.