Wednesday, March 17, 2010

biblical proportions






Forty days and forty nights it rained in the Old Testament story. Noah built an ark and floated away with animals paired two by two. I have always found that story disturbing and feel sorry for the animals and people left behind. To drown. And what kind of God would punish people in that way? But that is another discussion.

There is a flood right here in eastern Massachusetts. After a WEEK of hard driving rain, rivers are overflowing their banks, roads are closed. I saw kids kayaking down the street in Concord yesterday. A great sight. My little blue car felt like an ark as I drove it through water and over broken pavement. Yesterday was our first day without rain in a week. I am sure records have been broken. There is something exciting about extreme weather, I feel like a pioneer fighting the elements, or a person during biblical times dealing with plaques! I hope we won't be seeing locusts this spring! Although deer ticks are just about as bad.

Fact is, scientists tell us we will be seeing more extreme weather in the future. As the seas heat up due to climate change, the storms become more fierce. Hurricanes! Weeks of Rain, Wind, torrents of water rushing down my street. Hold on to your hats, grab that sou'wester and forge ahead! I am glad we cut down the two huge pine trees in our front yard. The Boston Globe is full of photos of bohemoths lying on houses, crushed as if a whale had leapt out of the Atlantic Ocean, took a wrong turn and landed in a neighborhood in Chelsea. Stranger things have happened.

Above are some photos of sunlight in the front hall. Ah... a relief.

6 comments:

don said...

With relativity in mind, I sense sunshine is a rare event. Savor it and batten down the hatches! Extremes always bring creativity and perspective, so say the artists. Beware, the Ides of March.

Ruth Lizotte said...

I've been wondering how you're all doing back there on the east coast! I love the whale image and the word bohemoths. You should be a newscaster...so upbeat in the wake of disaster: "Hold on to your hats, grab that sou'wester and forge ahead!" You New Englanders make me laugh.

Thanks for the story, Barb!

Carrie said...

I am happy to report that it is sunny but freezing in the former Soviet Republic of Georgia! I am praying it does not rain or snow for any prolonged period because i did not bring the appropriate footwear.
Love, c

Barbara said...

give us some info! post some details of life in the former Soviet Republic! Got photos? hope the weather stays clear.

John said...

So much in one post! Yes, New England and its exciting weather... how I miss you!

As a child in Taiwan, I loved going out during and after typhoons to survey the damage done by wind and rain that would only come a few times a year.

They would transform everything from dull, every day life into something thrilling, as from an action movie, and the next morning, leave everything seemingly clean, quiet and renewed even amongst the debris of downed branches, signs and leaves.

The last time I went on a post storm drive-through was with my uncle (a similar adventurer). Then, we saw a hill top cemetery which had suffered a mudslide, exposing that which should probably have stayed buried. That ghoulish sight has put me off of after storm adventuring since.

As for Carrie, I, too, would love to see some Georgian photos, knowing now your sense of photographic irony from your last post.

HSF said...

love the photos. not really sorry to have missed the wet chaos while in sunny, temperate guatemala. talk soon