Monday, April 20, 2009

Begin it


Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
-Goethe

Hi All,
Tuesday evenings are my night out in Harvard Square. I am taking a class at The Cambridge Center for Adult Education with the same teacher I studied with twenty years ago. He is still experimenting with how art and writing go together and so am I. I'm beginning to think about how to teach this to adults and elders and kids as well. So I signed up to see what he has to offer as a teacher and honestly to see how people respond to the process.

I've started teaching writing to adults and it has gone really well. But art is more risky, people are more intimidated or so I thought. Now I see the teaching points for writing practice apply to art as well. It's really about leaving the inner critic at the door and forging ahead. Turn off the controlling mind and listen to your heart and the source of all creativity, whatever that is. It's all about being in the present moment.

Meanwhile, I am having a blast. Taking a class carves out time to work. Sacred time to do the thing I love. Like a yoga class, or writing class, there are no interruptions, just focused activity in the presence of others doing the same thing. Surprisingly I am finding that writing and image making are communal acts. The energy of others doing it around me helps my mind to focus.

The graphic above is the result of this week's assignment.

2 comments:

jamclean said...

You are an extraordinary talent, Barb. I do so enjoy your ability to get yourself out there to hone (dad's favorite word) your crafts. It's easy as we age to rely on that which we know and feel we are good at. I admire the way you keep pushing yourself. Gee...I wonder where that came from...

don said...

Creativity forms a vacuum behind in which others follow.
Seeking to emulate and become unique and be worthy. The power of creation is the ability to untie oneself from the pier and go into the current. And make one's own way.
You know know this feeling!
Thank you for sharing it.