Wednesday, August 20, 2008

alternative energy 101




Question: Is this a relic of the past or is it the hope for the future?

Answer: Both

Our lawn mower finally died. The one I poured gas into through a funnel. The one that I quessed was killing small amphibians and insects as I powered on. The one that eventually emitted dark black smoke so that I had a headache when I was done mowing. It was self propelled and I just had to guide it as it made it's way across the lawn. David kept it going with baling wire and string until finally oil spilled out and it gave it's last gasp. Done.
I never liked it. A necessary evil of (yes, we do live in...) suburbia.

So the discussions started over the dinner table. Should we buy a Neutron? It is an electric lawn mower made in Vergennes, Vermont and advertised in all environmental magazines. Expensive of course and only good for small lawns. Our "lawn" is a combination of many green plants growing together. Weeds and grass intermingled, so the mower has to be rugged. Probably not the solution for us.

In the 1950's of my youth, lawns were perfect and weeds not tolerated. My dad had a tool that looked like a giant syringe as long as a cane so you didn't even have to bend down to use it. The plastic tube was a tasteful environmental green color. He filled it with acrid smelling deadly chemicals and gave a shot to every dandelion in the yard. This was before the publication of Rachel Carson's book, Silent Spring. In those days America was having a love affair with chemicals. In her book, she blew the whistle on the powerful chemical companies. Her editor at Houghton Mifflin, Paul Brooks, took a risk publishing such a controversial book. It is still in print. Because of it, eagles are back on the coast of Maine. In spite of it, cancer is everywhere.

Back to the lawn mower. As our discussions continued, the grass grew; verdant this year with all the rain. I borrowed a friends' lawn mower twice but grew weary of hauling that thing over here and returning it politely with a full tank.
One day in frustration, I grabbed the old push mower that we had brought up from Connecticut when David's mother moved out.

I sighed and thought, As if this will work! but started pushing. The familiar clack clack clack of the blades took me right back to being a kid. I began to smell that wonderful green smell of freshly mown grass which had so long been obfuscated by the smell of burning oil. And I was creating a line of mown grass! It was actually working! Granted it looked a little like a bad haircut but the solution is to hit it from the other direction as well. The grass had gotten long at this point in the summer and the tall stubborn weeds that simply lay down as the mower went over and popped back up victorious, had to be pulled out by hand. But I liked the experience. I sweated like they did in the old days. I seem to remember my brothers doing this in the New Jersey heat with streaks of sweat soaking through the backs of their tee shirts.

I enjoyed the process. After years of wincing and gagging behind the deafening Toro, I could mow the lawn in peace and get lost in my thoughts and really notice the world around me. Somehow we've been led to believe that we need bigger and bigger machines to accomplish simple tasks. Time to rediscover an alternative energy source: ourselves.

6 comments:

jamclean said...

Not lost on me was that DAVID kept the old mower running with scotch and baling wire while YOU, Barb, did the mowing.

I did my turn for the environment early on when, in immediate need of a whiffle ball bat, I "borrowed" the green plastic dandelion killer. It was last see broken in a thousand pieces at the very bottom of the trash can (where I carefully placed every bit of evidence.) Obviously before the advent of space age plastics.

M/R said...

Okay, put the rest of us to shame as we pollute the environment and lose our hearing all to gain a sense of visual space!! I need a new lawn mower too, but probably won't make as admirable a choice. :-) XXOO

Ruth Lizotte said...

Good for you, Barb! You just may change all of us with your enthusiastic essays! I haven't used the dryer since early June! I mow with an electric weed eater...perhaps I'll my machete...quieter, better exercise, closer to that new mown lawn smell!

John said...

What a great post. With the push mower, you won't every need a gym membership!

Jack, don't feel bad about the broken plastic poison injector - more likely the chemicals in the weed killer weakened the plastic and it would have broken soon anyways. Right.

As for the mower, well, you could always go plug in electric. Or robotic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotic_lawn_mower Mows up to 3 acres!

But you wouldn't get the same workout.

jamclean said...

Your mowing brings to mind a Charlotte neighbor who, when first seeing Roz shoveling the driveway after a fierce snow storm, remarked, "deeaah, you gonna haff to stop whacha doin' fow you roon it for the rest of us!"

don said...

From the satisfying sound and sense dep't:

1. Greased wheel ball bearings: Take the push l'mower. Flip it around and push it into the garage. The sound of a completed job.

2. Whirring blades: As though mowing, push the mower on a sidewalk surface and stop, pull back and repeat. Blades sharp and ready. Memories.

3. Smells of nature: Push the left wheel of the lawnmower accidentally over a pile of fresh dog poop. Enjoy this for the rest of the lawn mowing experience.

Reflections from the brother who mowed long ago. One of the sweaty T-shirt guys.