Sunday, May 11, 2008

Call Your Mother


This is the title of Tom Friedman’s Op Ed article in the NYT today. He gives us these directions because for the first time in his life, he can’t call his mother; she died this past year. So if you have a mother, be grateful that you can call her.

I did the math and was amazed to learn that I haven’t been able to call my mother for nineteen years.

Mom was not a fan of Mother’s Day. She believed it was a construct of the Hallmark greeting card company and was to be ignored. 
“Everyday should be mother’s day,” she used to say.

And it is. She is woven into the fabric of my life and I think of her often.

This morning as I sipped my tea and gazed out at the hillside in back of our house, I admired the large mountain laurel that grow there. Mom brought those to us as tiny seedings twenty five years ago, along with tiny dogwood trees and rhodos. She had discovered them in the Phillips Academy Bird Sanctuary that was directly behind their house in Andover.

History: When our parents bought the Andover house, the Phillips Academy Board of Trustees voted to create a gate in the Sanctuary fence that would allow them to enter right from their back yard. This was a special honor bestowed on Dad in appreciation for his long years of service to the school. Surely the Trustees imagined Mom and Dad strolling down the gravel roads, taking in the beauty as they aged gracefully over the years.

I am sure they did not imagine that this easy access would encourage pillage and plunder of plant material! How was it that laurel, vinca, and dogwoods jumped the fence and took firm root in Mom’s garden? Even more puzzling, some of them ended up in Lincoln!

Mom was always good at pruning and I have no doubt that the thinning was good for the plants in the Sanctuary. It was not as well tended as it should have been she often said. Mom provided a valuable service.

Our mother was an accomplished gardener. I was intimidated by the thought of creating a garden here in this woodlot in Lincoln where every time I put a shovel in in the ground, I hit a rock. No Garden State, this Massachusetts! Our Summit garden was amazing, helped by the fact that it was set in a surprisingly fertile, temperate part of the country.

When I’d ask Mom for gardening advice, she’d calmly say, “ just create a woodland garden” and kept bringing me shade tolerant plants which were tiny escapees from her neighboring Eden.
I hate to admit that many of the plants that she brought me died. I was busy with two young children, a teaching job and a house under construction, and tending more small living things was beyond me.

But her laurels have lived and thrived in our acid soil beneath the canopy of tall hemlocks. Blessedly the deer, our new hungry neighbors, don’t like the taste of them. So, thanks Mom, for helping us establish a woodland garden. It is all because of you.

4 comments:

jamclean said...

The double crosstick in todays NYT focused on the exactity of creating a rose garden.
There I was creating the Summit rose garden on the second terace, mother never far from view, digging up 10,000 rocks and throwing each one into the reservation - I'd hang a curve, mix in a few fast balls, then maybe a changeup for the observing chipmuncks in the wall behind.
"I'd like this to be done before we go to the Lake next month, dear."
Mom? What a sense of humor!

Sylvia Elmer said...

Granny died when I was six, yet I have a few distant memories that often come back to me. I remember her making me strawberry shortcake at the dining room table in Andover. I think of her every time I make it, even now. I also remember her taking me down into the cellar to show me the doll house. Sitting beside the doll house was a yellow collapsible cup. She let me keep it. Then there were the Lifesavers. Even now, her memory comes flying back to me every time I eat a cheery Lifesaver. A visit or two before she died, she put Werther's Originals under my pillow instead of Lifesavers. They, too, always make me think of her.

It's amazing what an impression someone can make on even a young child's life. I suppose this is just a tiny element about why we become teachers, mothers, grandmothers and friends.

Ruth said...

Checking to see if I can use this yet.

don said...

Note to John: And the fishheads, don't forget the fishheads and other fish remains that we laid carefully in the rose beds for future generations to enjoy.
Note to Barby: Don't leave John alone in your garden.