Thursday, March 17, 2011

the power of the pen


Poetry as an Insurgent Art

(I am signaling you through the flames)


by Lawrence Ferlinghetti


I am signaling you through the flames.


The North Pole is not where it used to be.


Manifest Destiny is no longer manifest.


Civilization self destructs


Nemesis is knocking at the door.


What are poets for, in such an age?


What is the use of poetry?


The state of the world calls out for poetry to save it.


If you would be a poet, create works capable of answering the

challenge of apocalyptic times, even if this meaning sounds apocalyptic.


You are Whitman, you are Poe, you are Mark Twain, you are Emily Dickinson and

Edna St. Vincent Millay, you are Neruda and Mayakovsky and Pasolini, you are an

American or a non-American, you can conquer the conquerors with words.


---------------------------- --------------------------- ---------------- ------------------- -----------


HI All,


National Poetry Month approaches (April) time to start getting ready.

I have never had a good grasp of poetry. Of course Mary Oliver strikes a chord every time

but what of others? I studied Ferlinghetti in college. He wrote in the 1960's and his words

resonate today.


I think I will instruct my students to take a stab at it with their pens. But first I have to learn a little more.


In Ashland, Oregon in April there is an event called Poets On the Loose. Poets roam the streets,

schools, libraries and cafes offering to read a poem by a well known poet and then hand a written

copy to the listener to take home. I love this idea.

(and if you don't want to hear a poem you can say no!)


It was on their web site that I found the above poem. Thought I'd share it with all of you.

I may be one of those Poets on the Loose, but reaching my audience on the blog.

Look out! More are coming!


B




1 comment:

whatinspires said...

very cool, love this idea!! where are you? i am happily home, dying to catch up!