Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Update from California

Hi All,

Since it seems that Barb is taking a bit of a break from the blogging world and I haven't said "hello" to the 4 Moccasin Hillbillies in a while, I thought I'd write a quick update on my life. All is well in Oakland, where I am living for the spring. I am amazed at all the Bay Area has to offer, and I am lucky enough to be in great company of both old and new friends alike.

Last weekend, one of my oldest friends, Tory Hayes, visited California and soaked up the sun after having been buried in snow back in Boston. It was wonderful to see him, and to take him up to Marin, where there are some beautiful hikes.

The view from a perch above Muir Beach last Saturday.

I've also been lucky enough to see Brad, Sylvia, and Alden not once, not twice, but THREE times since I arrived in California. It's been so incredible seeing Alden develop even in the four short weeks that I've been here, as well as spending quality time with Sylvia and Brad. There's nothing like family!

A backyard feast on a particularly balmy Sunday a few weeks back. One of my housemates is starting a food truck business, and is testing his recipes out on us all the time. While he insists that he has perfected his hamburgers to a T, I think I need to try a few more just to make sure.

The view from our drive home on Route 1 after a hike in Point Reyes.

While it looks like all fun and games ALL the time, I'm also tirelessly applying for teaching jobs in the area for the fall, and hoping something comes of it. I'll be heading to Wyoming in late April for a NOLS trip and then leading for Overland again this summer, this time in Tanzania. Still, the fall looms large. Stay tuned for a post in March... M+D are making the trek west for a visit, and I will be doing my best to capture their adventures here as they attempt to thaw themselves out after a cold and unyielding east coast January.

That's the news from the Bay! Love to all.
Eliza

4 comments:

M/R said...

Finally have caught up on 4 Moccasin Hillbillies! I've reveled in a couple of months worth of wonderful writing and photos of your adventures, your thoughts and always your passions. It has been uplifting and heart warming. Thank you for all of it!

Barbara said...

Thanks, Eliza! What a relief to find this on the blog! I can't bare taking photographs of frozen snow. The days are getting longer and I have heard a few birds but we are still locked in winter. Thanks for this sampler of life on the "left" coast! I can't get there soon enough!!

Ruth Lizotte said...

Hi Eliza,
I was your age when I moved to San Francisco from Boston.Your photos remind me of the euphoria of it all! The beaches! The sun! The beautiful, healthy looking people in the middle of the winter!

Unfortunately no relatives lived out west back then. You're lucky to have cousin Sylvia and Aunt Ruthie nearby!

whatinspires said...

Hi Eliza, You may not get this but i'll try, your Mom told me her blog is blocking comments for some reason.... I am Peter Litwin's mom, your Mom's friend , a fellow teacher and writer/artist. Want you to know I so enjoyed these beautiful photos, esp the foggy trees, the views and the backyard ,sunny picnic. keep the faith on the teaching search, you will find something!!! I taught art for 25 years and teaching is just a amazing job, hard but amazing. if you are interested i also have a blog. it's www.robinlitwin.blogspot.com
good luck!!!!