Sunday, January 3, 2010

What I've Been Up To

Hello Internet / Family / Friends,

I've just returned home from a White Mountain and Vermont new year's week and wanted to write a brief hello to friends and family far and wide. I spent the days leading up to new year's eve in the White Mountains and saw some great friends and did some amazing hiking.

Above is a picture taken at the base of Mt. Washington's Tuckerman Ravine. The temperature at the summit dropped to -70 degrees (yes, Fahrenheit) the previous night, so you can imagine it was still a bit chilly up there that day. We snapped a few pics, marveled at the crystal clear view and how my hair had formed into icicles, and headed back down. Phew.

After roughin' it in the North Country, I headed over to Burlington, VT and surrounded myself with hippies and fireworks on the shores of Lake Champlain to ring in the new year. Those Vermonters sure know how to have a good time.

Now home, I wanted to include a video of a fun piano piece I recently mastered. It's a Scott Joplin rag called "Scott Joplin's New Rag." Not as perfect as I'd like, but here it is anyway.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Eliza

5 comments:

don said...

Wow, 3:20 sec of solid, beautiful playing...that was wonderful.
I can almost taste the moonshine! (probably the wrong thing to say...)
Thank you,
Uncle D.

Ruth Lizotte said...

What a special treat...and new first! Audio on the blog, and what audio it was! Great, lively piano playing...your fingers are amazing to watch! I'd prefer no apology at the beginning (It was perfect!) and a curtsy at the end with a full frontal face to the camera! Thanks, Eli. That was wonderful!

jamclean said...

Eli

Fabulous!!! Absolutely mesmerizing!

It was, in fact, played perfectly. It's the tiny imperfections that add so much lift and joy to a Joplin rag.

We want more!!

John said...

Perfect! I really enjoyed hearing and seeing the performance. Makes me think of how the technology now enables us to pull up a chair to each others' virtual livingrooms and hear each other play the piano.

As for the winter outdoor adventuring... brrrr! Glad you made it home safe!

Brad Elmer said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so impressed! I love the jazzy upbeat nature of the piece. How long did it take you to practice?